Wedding Cake Wall Quilt
Designed By: Annabelle Keller, SCD, CPD
Typical Project Completion Time: 1 day
(does not include drying time)
STYROFOAM® Brand Foam:
Sheet, one 1" x 24" x 36" OR two 1" x 12" x 36"
45" ivory bridal fabrics: solid (cake), 1/4 yd.; tone-on-tone print (background), 5/8 yd.; moiré (borders and backing), 1 yd.
Extra-loft quilt batting, 12" x 15"
1-1/2" ivory crochet lace (cake icing), 1-3/4 yds.
Ivory ribbon: 1-1/2" striped sheer, 3-1/4 yds.; 1-1/2" taffeta wire-edge, 2-1/8 yds.; 3/8" satin picot, 3-1/2 yds.; 3/8" grosgrain, 1/2 yd.
Ivory satin rattail cord, 2 yds.
Fused pearl bead string: 4 mm, 3-5/8 yds.; 2.5 mm, 3/4 yd.
Assorted bridal trims
Pearl spray with three long streamers
Silk bridal spray with small flowers and pearl loops
5/8" ivory ribbon roses, 24
White cloth-covered floral wire, 6"
Sawtooth picture hanger with nails
Candle stub or paraffin
Thick white craft glue
Fine-line permanent marker
Putty knife with 1-1/2" blade
Acrylic quilting ruler, rotary cutter, and mat (optional)
1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. If using a 24" x 36" foam sheet, cut to measure 18" x 30". If using two smaller sheets, cut each to measure 9" x 30". Insert six evenly spaced toothpicks along 9" edge; spread glue on edge and toothpicks; push two halves together, forming a single sheet 18" x 30".
2. Refer to diagram and use yardstick and fine-line permanent marker to draw cake and background pattern on foam sheet. Using yardstick and sharp pencil, score all lines.
3. Cut quilt batting for cake as follows: 11-3/4" x 5-3/4" (bottom layer); 7-3/4" x 4-3/4" (second layer); 5-3/4" x 3-3/4" (third layer); 3-3/4" x 2-3/4" (top layer). Center and glue batting over corresponding cake layers on scored foam sheet.
4. Cut solid ivory fabric for cake as follows: 13" x 7" (bottom layer); 9" x 6" (second layer); 7" x 5" (third layer); 5" x 4" (top layer). (Hint: For added sentimental value, incorporate excess fabric from bride's dress into wall quilt.)
5. Cut tone-on-tone print ivory fabric for background as follows: one 17" x 5" (A); two 7" x 4" (B); four 17" x 3" (C); two 6" x 5" (D); two 5" x 6" (E); two 3" x 7" (F).
6. Work on a flat surface when "quilting" with STYROFOAM brand foam. Center fabric piece over corresponding area on foam sheet. Position putty knife on fabric directly over scored line, hold knife straight up and down, and push seam allowance into foam along scored line. The straighter knife is held, the neater simulated seam lines will appear. Carefully trim away excess fabric and tuck stray pieces into seam lines with tip of serrated knife. Tuck cake layers first, then background sections.
7. Cut a 23" x 35" rectangle from moiré fabric for backing. Center quilt, right side up, on wrong side of moiré. Fold fabric neatly over sides of foam and tuck into scored lines for borders; trim excess fabric at corners and tuck on mitered lines.
8. From 3/8" grosgrain ribbon, cut six 2" lengths for cake risers. Refer to diagram to glue ribbon risers between cake layers. Cut and glue 2.5 mm pearls to long edges of each riser.
9. Glue crochet lace to top and bottom edges of each cake layer for icing (refer to photo). Center and glue 1-1/2" sheer ribbon horizontally across each layer except top one. Glue 3/8" satin ribbon centered on each sheer ribbon. Cut five 12" lengths of 3/8" satin ribbon and tie in small bows with streamers. Glue bows to cake (refer to photo). Loosely twist streamers and glue to secure.
10. Cut and glue 4 mm pearls to bottom edge of top three cake layers and border seams. Glue rattail cord to cake as follows: top, bottom, and sides of bottom three layers; sides only of top layer. Glue ribbon roses and individual 4 mm pearls to lace icing (refer to photo).
11. Using 1-1/2" sheer ribbon, form a bow with six 4" loops and two 18" streamers; wire to secure and glue to center top of cake.
12. Cut a 22" length of wire-edge ribbon and knot one end. Gather ribbon on one wire edge. Wind gathered ribbon around knot to form rose, shaping as desired. Fold under end and wrap wire around base to secure. Repeat to make two additional roses, using 18" lengths of wire-edge ribbon.
13. Cut two 8" lengths of wire-edge ribbon. Fold a ribbon in half lengthwise and wrap around your finger, twisting as you wrap. Carefully slide ribbon off finger and shape into rosebud; spot glue to secure. Repeat for remaining ribbon.
14. Glue the three roses and two rosebuds to top cake layer clustered around bow. Fill in with remaining trims, including bridal spray and pearl streamers.
15. Glue hanger to back of quilt 1" from center top. Apply a small amount of glue to each nail. Push nails through holes in hanger and into foam sheet.
® Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company
"For more free project ideas, please visit www.styrofoamcrafts.com."
"Projects reprinted courtesy of The Dow Chemical Company, Manufacturer of Genuine STYROFOAM® Brand Foam."
Copyright Notice: Please DO NOT edit, sell, or claim as your own this article or any part thereof. If you wish to copy the article to put on your web site, the STYROFOAM® brand foam homepage and click on contact us, to obtain permission. If you use this background arrangement, a link back to me would be greatly appreciated.
Copyright © 2004 Free Craft Creations All Rights Reserved
Free Craft Creations